Friday, August 24, 2012

A Tribute to My Mentor


This page is dedicated to the beautiful, sweet, soul who is centered in my header photo, my dear, sweet, Grandma Bea!
What an amazing inspiration she was to me and to all those who knew her. It was her passion for decorating that I grew up admiring of her many, beautiful homes and holiday tablescapes. She impressed me, so incredibly, beginning as early as a young child. 
I was always mesmerized with the beauty of her feminine touches throughout her very Victorian home. Visiting her was such a delight  for as young as I can remember. 
Her "boudoir" was, so incredibly, romantic with her vanity covered with beautiful collections of pin cushions, crystal fragrance bottles and gorgeous, crystal, candle holders with prisms that all sparkled in the sunlight. Those dangling prisms were always, so, tempting to play with, but I quickly learned to obey her rules of... 
"Janet... you can look, but just don't touch!"
Victorian decor and glass, of vintage amethyst, were among her many passions. "Reflective purples" filled her shelves and mahogany decor, with doilies made by her mother, and gifts from so many of her loved ones and dear friends. That same amythyst color, so often, draped her delicate frame and was, almost always, made by hand at her sweet, little, green sewing machine.
 Elegant dinnerware, beautiful, lace tablecloths, polished silver and  shining crystal were the main attractions, to the festive occasions, of dining at her home. Her table was always centered with a "runner" of mirrored glass to feature the reflections of flickering candles, floral bouquets, seasonal decorations and birthday cakes, all of which kept me still in my seat as I dined.
Her talent for decor was, also, expressed in the way that she was able to give at least one room a "masculine" touch, as well. Grandpa's study was given the perfect finish with his mahogany decor and bookcases filled with his hard covers and collections all arranged just so.... all, so manly, for his peaceful retreat... to study and prepare for his weekly sermons to "GOD!"

Her, self written, daily prayer
 


 I dedicated my blog to her as a "thank you" for being such an inspiration to me.... I do believe that she was the one who gave me my desire for making things "look pretty" just as she always had.
I hope that I am, now, making her proud....I know she is watching over me in heaven!





 



2 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a beautiful tribute to a lovely lady.

JP said...

Thank you, she was amazing!