Saturday, October 11, 2014

Patchwork Hassock Cover...Love!!!

 I'm not much of a sewer, but I can usually pull something together without a lot of complications and "old faithful" hot glue!

 It was over a year ago that I found this, 1970's, hassock at a thrift store for just $3.00 and I've been wanting to recover it ever since. Can you say "pro-cras-tin-ate?"
  
  Canvas and microfiber fabrics, cotton jute roping and a scripted stamp were the inspirations for creating my new ottoman cover.

So, I began with a pattern from plain printer paper...using the triangle shape, on the hassock, as a guide.

 Making it a tad bit wider, about 1/4" on two sides, with a bit more to hang down over the side.

 Six pieces were pinned and sewed by machine....then stretched and hot glued to cover the top.

 A circle of drop cloth got pushed underneath the big button.

 I measured eyeballed fabric slightly larger than the width of each triangle and a bit more to be adhered underneath.

Six panels were cut, alternating fabrics and the button was secured with jute and hot glue.

All six pieces were stitched, with right sides together, to form a circle.

Turning it right side out I then slid it over to cover the sides.

 The rough edges got turned under and carefully hot glued in place all the way around.

Jute, cotton roping, got hot glued around the edge and tied with a knot.

Not bad, but not quite done!

But, I decided that I wanted to add some of the thin, jute string to the seams that divide the patterns....so, off to Hobby Lobby I went.
 While I was there I came across this fun, new bling....strips of faux upholstery tacks and a new, great big button.

The button was just large enough that I could easily just cover it with the brown fabric and layer it, with hot glue, on top of the old one. I was afraid that if I removed the old one that I would lose that tufted look!

After adding more stamping to the canvas on the sides, adding the gold, stud trim and re-attaching the gold, caster feet ....

I think that "I'm in love!"

 Next up on my re-do/to do list.....replacing the plaid valances that came with the house. I'm feeling plain canvas with that gold, tack trim!

   Love, Hugs and Kisses,
JP
and Gucci, too!



  Sharing this post at these great parties


staceyembracingchange

  craftsalamode  

ivyandelephants  
 
diybydesign

thededicatedhouse


cedarhillfarmhouse


kathewithane  

astrollthrulife  

distresseddonnadownhome

frenchcountrycottage  

lifeonlakeshoredrive  

6 comments:

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

WoW! This is beautiful! For someone who says they're not much of a sewer this is fabulous! I don't think so! Such attention to detail and patience! You are now an upholsterer! Great job, JP!

Etcetorize said...

Wow! Turned out great. The addition of the tacking really takes it to the next level. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

Donna Wilkes said...

The ottoman transformed into a true beauty. Great directions.

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

Well, you might have taken a while to do this, but it was worth it!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Hi, JP. How have you been? I love your tutorial. You make it look easy! So naturally I pinned it also under Furniture to my Pinterest boards. Hope you are having a fine Fall... bet it's warm down there. Linda

Diane said...

You did a great transformation on your ottoman! Really like the fabrics you chose, so creative and great attention to detail too. New follower.